The throbbing pain of a toothache is enough to make anyone go mad. And, although not all toothaches are as painful, no one should have to live with pain. That's why Dr. Thomas Weigel in Hazel Park, MI, provides his patients with treatment options to resolve your tooth pain.
What causes a toothache and how can your dentist help?
Dental pain has various symptoms and several causes. Often a patient experiences the following symptoms:
- Throbbing pain
- Sensitivity to hot or cold beverages
- Sharp pain when biting or chewing
- Swollen jaw
- Redness and/or a pimple at the gum line
- Bad-tasting drainage
- A fever
- Persistent bad breath
When do I visit my dentist?
If you are suffering from a toothache you need to see a dentist. The sooner our Hazel Park dentist can examine your pain, the sooner he can diagnose the issue and help treat you. He can stop a serious issue in its early stages and put an end to your pain.
It's recommended that a person do the following temporary pain-relieving steps before visiting the dentist:
- Take over-the-counter ibuprofen to treat discomfort and avoid using aspirin.
- Ice your jaw for 20 minutes and then remove the ice pack for another 20 minutes to reduce swelling.
- Drainage can be controlled by rinsing your mouth with warm salt water.
- If your toothache is a result of trauma, save any tooth fragments and go to Dr. Weigel immediately.
Dr. Weigel examines your tooth and uses x-rays to determine the problem. A toothache can occur because of a deep cavity and may require anything from a filling and crown to root canal therapy to eliminate the diseased tissue.
A toothache is not something you should ignore. If you notice painful dental symptoms, contact your Hazel Park dentist, Dr. Thomas Weigel, right away for advice.