A routine is described as a series of actions followed regularly. This means, to develop a great oral hygiene routine, you must identify the series of actions that will give you excellent oral health. Besides regular oral examinations and cleanings with your dentist, Dr. Thomas Weigel of Hazel Park, MI, these actions will ensure the best favorable results for your oral hygiene.
Basic Oral Hygiene Actions:
Brushing Your Teeth
- Use a soft-bristled brush and apply minimal force for brushing.
- Make use of a fluoridated toothpaste for maximum protection.
- Take at least two minutes to clean your entire mouth.
- The brush must be at a 45-degree angle to your gums for thorough cleaning.
- Brushing must be at least twice a day, with one before going to bed.
Cleaning Your Tongue
- After your teeth, go for your tongue.
- Place a bit of toothpaste on the toothbrush and clean your tongue using a circular motion with minimal pressure.
- Move around the entire tongue surface.
- Rinse it all off.
- Take an 18-inch long floss and wrap each end to your fingers.
- Slide it between your teeth and gently move it up and down the side of your teeth.
- Follow the curve of your teeth and gently move the floss back-and-forth.
- Keep the floss in a C shape as you approach the gum line to prevent gum damage.
- Repeat for every tooth, especially those at the back of your mouth.
- Rinse with water or mouthwash after.
Rinsing with Mouthwash
- Place the right amount of fluoride or antibacterial mouthwash in your mouth.
- Swish the mouthwash around for at least 30 seconds and no less.
- Spit it out and repeat if necessary.
Oral Hygiene Add-Ons
You need to support the basics mentioned above with some add-ons to ensure that you are on your road to excellent oral health. To further level up your oral hygiene routine, perform the following:
- Regularly visit your dentist in Hazel Park, MI.
- Lessen your consumption of sweetened drinks, as these cause plaque.
- Drink lots of water, if possible, fluoridated water can help strengthen your tooth enamel.
- Spike your diet with crunchy fruits and vegetables to stimulate saliva flow that will kill mouth bacteria.
- Limit alcoholic and caffeinated drinks that could damage and discolor your teeth.
- Stay away from tobacco products. Aside from bad breath, it could give you gum disease.
- Wait 30 minutes before brushing your teeth if you have taken sweetened drinks to prevent the acid from harming your tooth enamel.
For More Oral Health Advice, Give Us a Call
Dial 248-544-9010 to reach Thomas Weigel, D.D.S. here in Hazel Park, MI, and arrange a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Thomas Weigel.